You can now protect and accelerate any of your websites on the internet if you are part of the Content Delivery Network (CDN). Our best CDN review helps you identify the providers to improve website performance.
Once your website is part of the CDN community, the content request to the website is routed through the global network faster delivery.
- The content delivery network consists of nodes that are used to cache content so that the content can be made available geographically closer to the reader.
- As the nodes are widely distributed, each of your client’s requests has a very short distance to reach them. This facilitates faster load times and a better experience for the end-user.
In this article, we’ll provide an overview of the content delivery network, how it works, benefits and some of the best players in the market.
What is CDN?
CDN is a distribution network that uses globally interconnected servers to help clients easily download information from a nearby node or location.
In other words, the content delivery network (CDN) shrinks the distance between the client who is visiting your website and the server that is delivering the content.
How CDN Works?
The Content Delivery Network relies on DNS to point to the authoritative server for your website.
Firstly, the content request, caching and content delivery relies on the DNS pointed for your web content.
Secondly, in the registration configuration portal, under authoritative Nameservers, you’ll point to the CDN Server name.
Thereby, it is just announcing to the internet the name of the CDN provider who will serve the content request.
The content delivery network is configured to serve requests for static content. Any content that doesn’t change including images, texts, presentations, documents, style sheets is all cached.
Factors Determining CDN Performance
The performance of a CDN influences the user experience in downloading content from the Server.
What are the factors that attribute to the success of a CDN?
- Factors like performance, price, speed, customer support, server load, DNS time, connect time, wait time, global locations, security, and maintenance are vital in determining the best CDN.
- Additionally, it is important to evaluate the experience of the service provider, track record, the number of POP (Point of Presence) locations, CDN packages offered, and the wide network of servers.
How to select the best CDN provider?
A reliable CDN provider will offer the benefit of:
- Firstly, the best CDN will offer high web performance and speed.
- Secondly, it should provide value for money.
- Thirdly, a reliable infrastructure.
- Fourthly, effective monitoring and support.
- Fifthly, quick response and trace time.
- Finally, the global presence of the service provider.
Move Data Closer to Your User through a best Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Here are some of the best CDN review that can optimize your website performance:
Google Cloud CDN
The number one fastest and reliable content delivery network with a global reach.
- Anycast IP features to serve content globally from a single IP address
- SSL/TLS support functionality included at no additional cost.
- Ability to upload large objects even up to 5 TB
- Serve responses from Google Cloud CDN globally distributed caches
- Retrieve and serve cached content in minutes
- Serve content starting from Compute Engine VMs, Google Kubernetes Engine, and Cloud Storage buckets
- Support Modern protocols for HTTP/2 and QUIC
Moreover, faster page loads and consistent video experiences for users across the globe.
The Google Cloud CDN price varies based on the usage item:
- Cache egress -$0.02 – $0.20 per GB
- Cache fill – $0.04 – $0.15 per GB
- HTTP/HTTPS cache lookup requests – $0.0075 per 10,000 requests
- Cache invalidation – $0.005 per invalidation
- Requests sent from Cloud CDN to custom origin – Compute Engine internet egress rates
Above all, Google Cloud’s trace crosses 61 zones and over 130 points of presence across 35 countries worldwide.
Finally, Google Cloud CDN is ranked first place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 33.00 ms.
Cloudflare best CDN review
Trusted by companies like Thomson Reuters, Cloudflare is a popular content delivery network with simple and easy-to-use functionality.
- Datacenters in six continents with about 180+ cities
- Easy to set up and start with as you have to just add the DNS Server name.
- Additionally, you have Web filtering to block bots, reduce content spam, protect from hackers, mitigate DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack that could possibly disrupt normal traffic.
- Moreover, image optimization feature reduces image file size significantly facilitating smart image optimization.
- Four pricing plans starting from Free, Pro, Business and up to enterprise options.
- Web application firewall (WAF), HTTP2 prioritization, and advanced optimization features.
- Furthermore, you get up to 100K image resizing requests for Business plan clients.
- 2500% uptime SLAs, phone support and named engineers for Enterprise clients.
Certainly, Cloudflare is ranked at a ninth-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 38.83 ms.
Findlaw, Thomson Reuter’s digital marketing agency for law firms uses Cloudflare to secure and speed up thousands of customer sites.
JsDelivr is an open-source CDN for a faster and reliable website content delivery network. The specialty of this CDN is it comes with multi-CDN infrastructure for faster service.
Key features of jsDelivr are:
- Open Source CDN
- Smart Load Balancing
- Performance and Uptime Oriented
Furthermore, this CDN can efficiently handle the unlimited amount of traffic, includes global data centers, and it is absolutely malware-free. In addition, the WordPress plugin is free of cost and available for easy installation.
Above all, jsDelivr is ranked at a third-place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 34.19 ms.
The Microsoft Azure content delivery network is a global solution for delivering high-bandwidth content. It can speed up dynamic content for websites through various network and routing optimizations.
Furthermore, Azure CDN provides enhanced user experience through effectively managing websites or mobile apps or encoding or distributing streaming media.
The key benefits of Azure CDN are:
- reduce load times and better performance
- save bandwidth
- Increased responsiveness and improved user experience for end-users
- Suitable for distributing streaming media, gaming software, firmware updates or IoT endpoints.
Certainly, in terms of performance and query speed, Azure CDN takes the fourth-place according to CDNPerf.
Akamai content delivery solutions are faster, reliable and secure in distributing and accelerating web content.
Akamai’s Aura Managed CDN is a Content delivery network solution that leverages a CDN running on Akamai infrastructure to provide faster Internet, multiscreen video and other content delivery services.
The benefits of using Akamai CDN are:
- Minimizes deployment time
- Reduced up-front costs
- Reduced operational expenses.
- Support of maintenance for CDN 24/7
Akamai is ranked at a second-place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 33.63 ms.
Delivers CDN services to large organizations including Spotify and Reddit. Going by the rough guideline of CDNPerf’s rankings, in terms of query speed, it is the seventh fastest with about 36.00 ms.
Furthermore, Fastly CDN accelerates your website by caching both static and dynamic content from the original server. But, it doesn’t provide uploading content to Fastly servers.
Besides, Fastly uses client-server as a source and supports “cloud storage” services as your origin, which include Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Google Cloud Storage (GCS), and Google Compute Engine (GCE).
Fastly partnership with Google, in particular, has facilitated this direct connectivity to Google’s cloud infrastructure.
Some of the key features of Fastly are:
- Provides configurable support for video caching
- Deliver any HTTP-based media streaming protocol that includes HLS, HDS, HSS, and MPEG-DASH.
- Fastly’s server specs are tremendous with 4TB of SSD storage, 768GB RAM and 4 x 25 Gigabit Ethernet connections
Fastly provides a pay-as-you-go model with a minimum charge of $50 (£37) per month. Additionally, you can test up to $50 of traffic for free of cost.
AWS CloudFront CDN is the largest network that serves thousands of companies.
Again, you can have the option to restrict the CDN country and can host live streaming data and some of the dynamic content.
An accelerated Content delivery network that offers a worldwide network of proxy servers which cache content, for web videos, bulky media, and making them locally available to consumers, consequently improving access rate for downloading the content.
Above all, the AWS CloudFront network offers a secure and safe environment to host your web content.
The benefits of using AWS CloudFront are:
- Faster access to content as CloudFront caches copies content close to the end-users location resulting in high data transfer rates and low network traffic.
- Very easy to use
- Facilitates integration and can be easily used with Amazon S3, Amazon EC2.
- Cost-effective as there are no upfront fees
- Easy maintenance
- highly reliable infrastructure
- Makes use of a global network of edge locations located in most of the locations.
Certainly, AWS CloudFront CDN is ranked at a sixth-place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 35.85 ms.
Verizon best CDN review
Verizon Digital Media Services provides end-to-end solutions to prepare, deliver and enable the monetization of your online content. Through this, you can increase your reach to viewers on every device, faster and quicker.
Above all, Verizon’s Edgecast Content Delivery Network (CDN), is powered by the world’s largest telecommunications company, Verizon. Certainly, a CDN designed to outperform other CDNs in terms of speed reliability, and flexibility.
The benefits of using VDMS:
- Built on a faster backbone that provides up to 55Tbps with over 80,000 network routes miles, reaching audiences in more than 2,700 cities and 150 countries.
- It provides agility, autonomy, and visibility. VDMS CDN, for instance, is one of the few that support web-based self-service control panels or APIs to give you the control the user needs.
- Access to 24 x 7 Support
VDMS Edgecast CDN is ranked at a fifth-place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 34.75 ms.
Liquid Web best CDN review
The Liquid Web CDN accelerates your website’s load time by globally distributing pictures, music, in a caching network.
The basic elements such as text, framework codes will be handled by the original server, whereas all the media will be handled by Liquid Web’s global network of cache servers.
Nevertheless, Database activity is not handled by Liquid Web CDN, it is handled by the original server.
The benefits of using Liquid Web CDN:
- Take the load off of your server for the medial files that are bigger in size.
- It does not require upload ahead of time to the CDN network.
- High Performance
- Database Hosting
- VMware Private Cloud
- HIPAA Compliant Hosting
- Server Clusters
CDN77 speeds up your website acceleration, improves online presence and software distribution. One of the most reliable CDN with transparent pricing options, great load time and reduced bandwidth cost.
CDN provides usage analytics and reports that can work hand in hand with your website analytics, resulting in a better overall experience for site visitors. Additionally, they also give a website a more in-depth view of its file usage and the possibility to discover trends that could lead to advertising promotions and increased sales.
The benefits of using CDN77:
- eliminate costs of infrastructure and investing in many service providers worldwide
- Fast, transparent and flexible content delivery network
- High-quality services and excellent support
- Stable even in times of the huge number of launches for customers around the world
- Real-time support
CDN77is ranked at fourteenth-place according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 43.23 ms.
MaxCDN delivers content fast to users across the globe through cache nodes available worldwide. It is one of the best CDN providers for WordPress.
According to our best CDN review, the benefits of using MaxCDN are:
- Easy and intuitive setup
- Your website will load faster
- Reduce your server load
- Instant cleaning and provisioning, instant SSL, complete API, and GitHub integration and real-time reporting
- A CDN that integrates easily with content providers like WordPress.
- Duplicating the content quickly based on the user’s proximity
- Easy to create and manage push/pull zones in MaxCDN
A CDN that accelerates your website as fast as a Bunny.
A reliable, powerful and lightning-fast content delivery network that offers high performance at cost-effective pricing.
According to our best CDN review, the benefits of using Bunny CDN:
- Ensures your website loads as fast as a bunny
- Reduce website load time
- Reached quickly in most of the areas around the world
- Ensures millisecond latencies as the servers are powered purely by NVMe and SSD technology
- Powered by an 18Tbit+ backbone and more than 10 Tier 1 network partners
Furthermore, it takes full control of the way you deliver your data with this powerful, yet simple control pane of Bunny CDN. Built on the latest technology to deliver your content with lightning-fast speeds around the world.
Bunny CDN is ranked at tenth-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 39.45 ms.
CDNetworks is one of the global-leading content delivery networks (CDN) with over 1,500+ PoPs, with unparalleled speed, security, and performance for your websites and applications.
According to our best CDN review, the benefits of using CD Networks are:
- A customized content delivery network platform
- Provides full control and transparency
- 24×7 support
- The platform boasts 50+ Tbps and over 1,500 PoPs to optimize resources
CDNetworks is ranked at eighth-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 37.27 ms.
One of the fastest CDN that offers 100% availability guarantees. A global CDN in all of the continents for improved website delivery and performance.
CacheFly is a preferred network for leading brands like Microsoft, Toyota, Honda, Add This, Bank of America, and Adobe.
According to our best CDN review, the benefits of using CacheFly are:
- rich-media content that is 10x faster than traditional delivery methods
- Reach a global audience of any size
- Reduce the impact of performance impacts through worldwide caches
- Scalable content delivery to manage all types of traffic
- Trusted security experts to support and manage any issue
CacheFly is ranked at eleventh-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 39.65 ms
MetaCDN is an Australian company that combines three networks for a speedy service. This includes the clubbing of CDNs of Amazon Cloudfront, Fastly and Verizon’s EdgeCast into a single speedy service.
The benefits of using MetaCDN are:
- High performance when it comes to loading your site
- Three major networks and more than 120 locations to select from
- Access to all settings and options
- Easy to use and very user-friendly
- Pricing plans that include Basic, Lite, and Pro.
Key CDN is one of the top CDN services that provide affordable rates than the ones in MaxCDN.
The benefits of using KeyCDN are:
- Considered an effective platform with highly powerful and the most effective SSD optimized servers
- Effective data centers in Asia, North America, Europe, and Australia
- low latency and reducing travel between the service providers.
- intuitive management dashboard, with real-time reporting, and security features
Above all, KeyCDN is ranked at thirteenth-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 41.80ms.
With over 170 server locations, the content distribution network speeds up content delivery of your websites. CDN.Net also provides DDoS protection and a shared SSL certificate.
The benefits of using CDN.Net are:
- supports the GZIP compression for better performance and high speed.
- Uses load balancer technology to ensure the serving of the site files from the appropriate location.
- offers a free 1TB trial, but it is for 30 days
- Trusted support and monitoring
Above all, CDN.Net is ranked at sixteenth-place in terms of performance according to CDNPerf with a query speed of 43.69 ms.
Rackspace is one of those best CDN providers that offers pay as you go storage in Cloud. It provides a secure environment for hosting huge files, static websites and accelerating the delivery of content on your websites.
The benefits of using Rackspace in accelerating website performance and delivery:
- stores your most recently and frequently requested content worldwide
- Improve your website performance significantly
- A high-performance Content Delivery Network (CDN), to deliver images, and video content at lightning speeds.
- Superior end-user experience
- Provide you better control of caching.
- Provides high-capacity SSDs and advanced caching techniques, to make content accessible
- Insightful caching policies can maintain the content available at the edge for longer
Above all, you can deliver the ultimate web browsing experience for the user by improved website performance through Rackspace.
Medianova best CDN review
MediaNova aims to create a faster digital world with effective platforms and services. They utilize technologies such as patent-pending Dockerized CDN Platform, HTTP/2, BBR, Brotli, Image Optimization for quicker content delivery.
Additionally, Medianova collaborates with select data centers that meet the latest technology and security requirements globally. You can provide your website the speed it deserves with Medianova.
The benefits of using Medianova in accelerating your content delivery are:
- Accelerates your websites, mobile apps, e-commerce stores, videos, games, SaaS products, APIs across all devices.
- Gives your users better, faster and more secure digital experiences powered by Medianova.
- Build a better internet by providing a content delivery network solution that is accessible to as many users as possible.
- Provides friendly and experienced 24/7 proactive support in monitoring and resolving issues.
Certainly, Medianova is ranked at sixteenth-place in terms of Up Time according to CDNPerf with an Up Time of 98.11%.
The OVH content delivery network accelerates website performance and file downloads, using the OVH PoPs spread around the globe.
The benefits of using OVH CDN in improving the performance of your website are:
- Reduced latency time to optimize conversion rates
- A global network of caches
- Managed through the Control Panel or WebApp
- Control using the API OVH
- High security, speed, and easy-to-use features
- SEO optimization for each country
- Reduced hosting costs and faster return on investment
Above all, OVH CDNis ranked at the seventeenth-place in terms of Up Time according to CDNPerf with an Up Time of 98.09%.
In conclusion, effectively employing the CDN is essential if you have international targets to reach and improve the page loading times. With the help of CDN you can easily improve user comfort, secure data, reduce infrastructure and bandwidth cost in each of the locations.
The best CDN review takes into account quality in terms of performance, speed, and reach.
With the increasing importance given to the global presence and reach of users, it is important to connect easily with consumers online. The benefits offered by a content delivery network (CDN) to distribute website content are very wide. In handling high traffic websites, the role of CDN is critical for better performance of websites.
Finally, an effective worldwide content delivery network gives businesses the opportunity to make use of nodes to bring the user closer to the content. A server that is closest to the user’s location will serve the content request.